COMET-Construction Organizing Membership Education Training
This course requires a minimum of 8 classroom hours and provides apprentices and journeymen with useful information about the challenges facing the Ironworker union and provides thought provoking questions and suggestions for how to navigate the world of construction in the 21st century. Participants will be encouraged to think about important issues facing them and their peers and to brainstorm and identify short-term and long-term solutions.
The COMET program was developed for a number of very important reasons:
- Organizing is the right thing to do. It is the mission of the union to meet the needs of construction workers and to elevate their conditions of life and labor.
- Organizing is the most effective way to rebuild declining bargaining strength. Increasing the percentage of workers organized in any jurisdiction increases the market share and enhances bargaining power. Organizing enables the union to win better wages and benefits for our members.
- COMET is an important prerequisite to an effective construction organizing campaign in that it emphasizes membership awareness and enlists broad support for organizing activities.
The objective of this course is to.....
- Explain why every local union must organize unrepresented construction workers.
- Describe why it is important that union members support organizing within their local's jurisdiction.
Upon successful completion of this course, the participant will be able to describe:
- What happens when we do not organize
- The construction industry
- Why we organize
- Our founders wisdom
- Collective bargaining
- The collective bargaining strength of organizing
- what went right
- what went wrong
- the union/non-union gap
- what is to be done to build the future
This course is designed for all apprentices and journeymen
Ironworkers Local 720 Training and Test Centre
10512-122 street Edmonton
Dates and Times:
Dates to be announced - Check the Training centre calendar for current dates and times
Meals will be supplied for each day. Please note that attendance of full course is necessary for Completion Certification.
Contact the Ironworkers Training Centre at (780) 482-0908
Important Course Information
- A $150 Fee will be charged to NO SHOWS or those who fail to attend the entire course.
- Participants are asked to arrive 10 min before the start of class.
- Late arrivals will not be permitted.