This is your dispatch Tuesday June 2nd, 2020. Members please call 780-482-0720 between 8:00 and 8:30am. CSTS-2020, OSSA Regional/BSO or CSO, OSSA EWP, OSSA Fall Pro, Pre-access A&D and Alberta Trade Equivalency certification is required.
Please refer to our Job Line Recording at 780-482-1637 in Edmonton or 780-791-5866 in Fort McMurray, if job postings do not have the current date.
There are no current job postings for the Edmonton area for Tuesday June 2nd
There are no current job postings for the Fort McMurray area for Tuesday June 2nd
A message from Keith Stevenson BM/FST
Ironworkers Local 720
Hello Brothers and Sisters,
Just wanted to give everyone an update as to what has been going on around the Local over the last few weeks. I would like to talk about some upcoming events, some ongoing and potential work fronts, and the operations of the Local itself.
- Local 720 Golf Tournament – Due to the COVID-19 crisis and its restrictions, we have officially cancelled the 30th Annual Golf Tournament that was scheduled for Saturday June 6th. We have already rebooked for next year for Saturday June 5, 2021.
- Western Canadian Apprenticeship Competition – We were to host this event on Thursday June 18th and Friday June 19th. We will be rescheduling this event for later in the Summer, Likely in August. We will keep everyone posted for updates as they develop.
- Annual Int’l Training Week in Ann Arbor Michigan – This event that happens every year in the middle of July, it had to be cancelled this year because of the restrictions and protocols associated with COVID-19.
- Local 720 Show and Shine – At this time, the Show and Shine that is scheduled for August is not cancelled. We will be deciding on this event in the near future.
- Rebar is still very busy, and we are constantly looking for new candidates for our pre-app classes. Please contact Dean Murray or Scott Papineau if you are interested or have someone interested in a career as a Reinforcing Ironworker.
- IPL Site in Ft Saskatchewan and the LRT Project in Edmonton continue to be our largest ongoing jobs around town. We currently have a couple of smaller Mod Yard projects going as well.
- At this time, the Shutdowns are still planned with some going a little later and into the Summer. There will be some job opportunities at numerous locations in the city and the Wood Buffalo Region in the coming months.
- With the uncertainty in return of manhours because of COVID-19 and the collapse of the world oil demand, we’ve had to temporarily lay off our receptionist Tanya Nash, Northern Business Agent Rob Letendre, and Business Agent Gary Savard to help contain costs with limited revenue coming in these days.
- We will be taking appointments to pay dues by appointment only starting June 1st. We will maintain to practice social distancing and have already installed physical barriers at the reception counter and dispatch area to conduct business when it is safe to do so. Please contact Ana or Marrion for appointments and refer any job enquires and issues to either Dean Murray, Chris Aparicio, or myself. Our cell numbers are on the website if you cannot reach us at the office.
Wishing everyone had a safe, fun May Long Weekend and check back for regular updates.
Keith Stevenson BM/FST
Ironworkers Local 720
Nick Denys – FM – MM Limited (formally Guthrie Mech) @ Syncrude, Starts: June 1st
Paul Fitzharris – IW – Worley Industrial @ Edmonton Yard, Starts: June 1st