Pre-Apprentice Course (6 week)
Pre-apprentice course is a 240hr class (6 weeks ) designed to provide the participant with the initial knowledge and skills required for their first day on the job site. Major topics covered in this course include basic safety, measuring, and hand tools. The student will also be introduced to rigging, welding, structural steel erection, architectural and ornamental ironworking, and reinforcing ironworking.
The objective of this course is to enable the student to go to work as an apprentice Ironworker
Upon successful completion of this course, the participant will be able to:
- Describe the history of the Ironworkers and the structure of the union and apprenticeship program
- Follow basic safety guidelines
- Demonstrate the ability to measure
- Demonstrate the ability to use basic hand tools
- Tie knots required for basic rigging operations
- Set-up and break down oxyfuel equipment and connect leads for shielded metal arc welding
- Describe the roles and responsibilities of the structural Ironworker
- Describe the roles and responsibilities of the Architectural and Ornamental Ironworker
- Describe the roles and responsibilities of the Reinforcing Ironworker
- Successfully complete OSSA Fall pro, EWP, Confined space courses
- Successfully complete CSTS-09 and WHMIS training
This course is designed for new apprentices interested in becoming Structural or Reinforcing Ironworkers. Applicants must be between the ages (18-35) in good physical condition, able to work at height and are willing to travel for work.
Ironworkers Local 720 Training and Test Centre
6303 Roper Road, Edmonton, Alberta
Dates and Times:
Monday through Friday 8:00am to 4:30pm - Check the Training centre calendar for current dates and times
Applicants must be 18 - 35 years old and have a transcript showing the completion of grade 10 math and English.
Applicants must email a resume and transcript to firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact the Ironworkers Training Centre at (780) 482-0908
Applications will be reviewed and in person interviews and orientations will be set up for applicants before they are accepted into the program.
Important Course Information
- A $150 Fee will be charged to NO SHOWS or those who fail to attend the entire course.
- Participants are asked to arrive 10 min before the start of class.
- Late arrivals will not be permitted.
- Applicants must be will and able to pass a pre-access drug test